OICS strongly recognizes volunteer contribution, support, and dynamic professional skills as necessary to strengthen community based programs and services. All members are eligible to apply for volunteer opportunities relevant to their skills and professional backgrounds. At OICS we extend volunteer opportunities to members in our community and professionals seeking community development and social services experience. OICS is always looking for new volunteers to fill the increasing needs of the communities we serve. Volunteers are screened for their skills and suitability, then assessed to determine their need for training and support after completing the Volunteer Application.
We provide volunteer positions with the following programs provided:
• Settlement and integration services
• Newcomer Program
• Interpretation and translation
• Job Search Facilitation
• Resource centre assistant
• Front desk and admin support
• Family counseling and support assistant
• Information and community corner assistant at various designated places(OW, Public libraries)
• Outreach assistant
• Youth program assistant
• Fundraising assistant
The OICS Volunteer Application Process includes the following steps:
• Submitting the Application Form
• Attending the Orientation Session
• Attending an Interview with the Coordinator of Volunteers
• Attending the Training Session designed for the type of work you intend to pursue
WE DON’T CREATE MOTIVATION, WE DISCOVER IT
At Ontario Inter-cultural Community Services we know that each of us have specific skills and interests that make certain tasks more enjoyable and meaningful than others. It is because of this that we try to accurately match qualifications, ability, motivation and preferences with available volunteer positions to provide our volunteers with an enjoyable, fulfilling, and rewarding position they can manage well.
At OICS we believe that your volunteer experience should be satisfying, challenging and fun! Therefore, we invite you to complete a self-assessment, which will give you and us a better understanding of who you are and how you can best utilize your skills and abilities.
Before attending your interview with our staff, please consider the following:
• What Are My Interests? -- What would bring the most fulfilling work for you and would you do this willingly as a volunteer?
• Personal Growth. -- What skills would you like to learn and what areas would you like to improve (we will discuss how we might help you enhance the skills.)
• Areas to Avoid? -- What work would you like to avoid as a volunteer, even though you may have that skill or ability?
Please consider broadly your interests, skills and talents. Don’t limit yourself to a particular job function. Lastly, have fun with this exercise. Your list may surprise you!
Volunteering in a challenging and fast paced environment helps to improve morale, increase self-esteem and overcome social isolation. As you volunteer with OICS, you will have an opportunity to gain valuable work experience, to be better prepared for greater responsibilities in today’s workforce or to fulfill your wish of helping others and giving back to your community.
Whatever your reason, OICS invites you to become an active member of our fast growing organization!